Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Fishboy Review: BOSS Fishing SUV

The BOSS Fishing SUV is kind of a gimmicky pocket fishing tool box from a manufacturer of similar tools aimed at the hunting market. Why is it called SUV? Who knows expect that the marketing slogan says it can "Do it all" -- I guess that is a reference to Sport Utility Vehicles and their "Do it all" image.

The BOSS SUV is a compact package that claims to eliminate a box full of tools. The Fishing SUV includes 10 functions. Scale, tape measure, hook sharpener, disgorger, line clipper, eye buster, stringer, mag-style flashlight (not included) holder, hauling loop, multi-purpose snap clip.

Basically for tournament fishing the tape measure and scale are the most important items in this type of tool. Most fishermen I know will already have a trusty multi-tool or pliers tool like Fishboy's Fish GrpZ or any number of tools from Gerber or Leatherman to handle disgorging, line clipping and other tasks.

What I really don't like about the design of this product is the way the tools all hang off of it loose like. WIth this configuration you can easily pocket this tool.

Sure I have my line clippers hanging off my vest pocket but this multi-tool is designed to hang off of your belt loop and then the line clippers and other tools hang off of it. I'd rather have some individual tools and put them where I want to and have my Fish GrpZ safely in its holster until I need it.

The manufacturer of the Boss Fishing SUV claims it "is the most complete tool ever devised for the fisherman" but I beg to differ. No one tool can be all things to every fisherman and this tool doesn't even come close to being the most complete tool. Find it online for $15.

No comments: