Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Schoolboy Catches A Piranha

Fishing boy lands piranha
From correspondents in Manchester
October 18, 2006
A 14-YEAR-OLD boy fishing at his local pond in England has landed a man-eating piranha, an exotic native of tropical South America.

Josh Boyle hooked the deadly fish from the water in Reddish Vale, Stockport, Greater Manchester.

A keen angler, Josh realised it was a piranha and held its sharp teeth at arm's length in a towel.

The schoolboy even had the presence of mind to take a snap of the fish on his mobile phone to prove to his friends and family he was not telling fishy tales.

"It was easy to get it back on to the bank because I had the net," he said.

"Then I went over to my mate and said 'It's a piranha' and he didn't believe me.

"Then he had a closer look and admitted it was. My brother used to keep piranhas as pets so I know what they look like."

"I was shocked - but it was as shocked as me. It had big teeth but it wasn't trying to bite me and it looked pretty weak."

Josh returned the fish to the water but later found it dead.

"It was in cold water so it was dying," he said. "Somebody probably dumped it there.

"I think it's the most exotic fish I'll ever catch. I want to get some piranhas as pets but my mum won't let me."

Josh, who is a member of the Prince Albert Angling Society, was not having much luck when he cast his line into the pond one Monday in August.

He was with his brother Callum, 16, and another friend at their regular fishing spot when the man-eater took the bait.

He pulled the fish in to his net before taking its picture.

Piranhas are rightly feared in the Amazon and other South American warm freshwaters where they hunt in huge shoals.

Growing up to 40cm in length, the fish have teeth sharp enough to bite through a human finger.

No comments: